Monday, September 12, 2011

A Little Introduction

When I was in college I dated a woman named Angela for five and a half years. It was a very tumultuous relationship for me because I felt there were a lot of head games, unusual rules that were okay for her but not for me, and I was not nearly having as much sex in our relationship as she was. Angela was my introduction to the horrors of cheating, depleting my self-esteem, and second guessing every interaction I have had in other relationships ever since then. This relationship ended a long time ago and the internet was just in its infancy at the time. There were no support groups, very little information on cheating except from friends, and I spent far too long trying to understand why Angela had decided to routinely cheat on me. I attempted to work on our relationship when I finally caught her cheating but I was unable to hold on to this relationship because of lack of trust, shattered image of myself, and every time she was a few minutes late or an unusual piece of paper was in her apartment I believed she was cheating. I did not know the signs of a cheater, I thought only poor relationships had cheaters, and I did not really know how to handle the fallout from cheating. I wished there had been a place to assist me during that awful time or more specifically someone who had been there to tell me what was in store for me once I was to attempt to repair the relationship.

Since that time of my personal experience with being cheated on, I have had many friends who are experiencing the same things as I did, are engaging in cheating themselves, and for some reason these individuals are looking to me for answers. I previously had a relationship blog that I had written for informational purposes and the blog ended up being bombarded with questions regarding infidelity, how to catch a cheater, and how to recover from infidelity. Many of these stories were heartbreaking, unbelievable in their narcissism, and even cruel towards people that they once professed to love. I plan on detailing the experiences from a variety of individuals close to me regarding recovering from cheating and how to protect yourself as much as possible from these horrible experiences associated with cheating.

No comments:

Post a Comment